Monday, June 11, 2012

Soap Expansion

I have seen this experiment online a few times and decided to try it with the kids. So we took the plunge and gave it a shot. I wasn't sure how I felt about sticking a bar of soap in my microwave but what could it hurt, it was after all soap and would just wipe out. Luckily, we didn't have any problems and it all turned out great. The kids loved watching the soap expand. For more information on the how and the why of the experiment visit this web site. I simply put the bar in the microwave, turned my rotating plate off, and set the time for 3 minutes. It only took about 2 of the minutes to complete. When the soap stopped expanding I turned the microwave off.

FROM THIS
 TO THIS
SOME SIZE PERSPECTIVE
GLAD I CLEANED THE STOVE TOP :)
The kids loved it so much we did it again. The foamy mound is actually firm to the touch but will turn to crumbles when broken. The kids liked crumbling the soap.
NOTE: There is air inside the soap when you take it out of the microwave, allow the soap to cool for a few minutes before breaking it apart.

No comments: